How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Windows) 4.o
1. Download RedSn0w from here and place it in the Pwnage folder. Likewise, download the latest 4.0 firmware from below and place it in the same folder.
4.0.0 (3G): iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
Extract the redsn0w executable from the RedSn0w zip file into the same folder.
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer and launch iTunes.
3. Navigate to the Pwnage folder on your desktop and select the firmware ipsw. Click the Choose button to continue.
Once iTunes has finished updating your iPhone to the desired firmware open the Pwnage
folder on your desktop and launch the redsn0w application from the redsn0w folder we
4. Once RedSn0w opens click the Browse button
5. Select the firmware ipsw we placed in the Pwnage folder on our desktop then click Open.
6. Once the firmware has been verified click the Next button to continue.
7. RedSn0w will now prepare the jailbreak data
8. From this window you can select the jailbreak options you would like.
Verbose boot displays detailed information on boot of your device and is generally only
needed by developers and advanced users.
Make sure Cydia is selected. For this tutorial we will also select Custom boot logo and Custom
When you click to select each custom logo option a dialog window will appear asking you to
select the image. Locate the image you would like to use then press the Open button.
*Remember the rules for boot logos are: RGB or Grayscale format with Alpha channel and
dimension below 320x480. If you would like to use the iClarified ones they can be found
Notice that RedSn0w has already selected to Enable multitasking, Enable homescreen
wallpaper, and Enable battery percentage. If you do not need multitasking we would
deselecting it as it makes your iPhone 3G run very slow.
Click the Next button to continue
9. Please plug your iPhone into the computer and make sure its OFF then click the Next button
Hold down both the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds.....
Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button until RedSn0w detects the
11. Your iPhone will now reboot
12. RedSn0w will then begin uploading the new RAM Disk and Kernel.
13. Once this is complete you will be notified that RedSn0w is done. Click the Finish button.
When your iPhone finishes rebooting (5 minutes or so) it will be jailbroken with Cydia on the
You can now unlock your device using UltraSn0w by following these instructions.
*As usual a big thanks to the iPhone Dev-Team for their hard work and contribution to the